Any human experience can be an experience of God. Spiritual direction can help you realise the Lord at work, help you bring that experience into prayer and into the light of the Lord.
Spiritual direction provides you with a place to notice, reflect, discern and discover God more fully.
What is Spiritual Direction?
It is sharing your spiritual journey with someone who will help you to reflect on how God is actively present in your life and how God is calling you to a deeper relationship with Him.
How does it work?
In the sessions, share aspects of your life including your everyday experiences, decisions you have to make, discernment, relationships or prayer. The spiritual director will listen, offer support and help you to notice and be more aware of where the Holy Spirit is leading you in your life.
Why do I need Spiritual Direction?
Deeper knowledge of God and our personal path comes more smoothly when I can articulate what is happening. I can do this best with someone who has experience and knowledge about spiritual paths, in a relationship that is in confidence, unbiased, and focused on this goal of the steps I am taking experiencing God.
What are the benefits?
- Growing in relationship with God, self and others
- Integrating spirituality in your daily life
- Help in responding to opportunities of healing and growth in your life of faith
- Discernment in making decisions and finding the best course of action
- Becoming more aware of the invitations of the Holy Spirit in your life
- Noticing and savouring your own experiences of God in your life
Did you know that nearly all of the greatest Saints had spiritual directors?
“Just then I needed someone who had gone through it all himself, for such a person alone could understand me and interpret my experiences…he understood me” - St Teresa of Avila
What to expect?
In the sessions, you share whatever aspect of your life you feel motivated to reflect about. As you enter into your time of spiritual direction, prepare your heart to encounter the Lord through the spiritual director.
It is important for your spiritual director to get to know you during the first few sessions:
- Where are you at in life right now?
- What has your spiritual journey looked like in the past and in recent times?
- Where do you feel the Lord inviting you to grow at this time?
Your director will ask you questions along the way, but it is good for you to have certain things that you want to share and questions that you want to ask.
Your journal is helpful during the session as it allows you to revisit past prayer experiences to share with your director and note what the Lord is speaking to you during your meetings. If you do not, you could consider keeping one.
Is Spiritual Direction for me?
If your answer is ‘Yes’ to both questions then it is a good time to consider Spiritual Direction.
- At the present time, do I want to deepen my relationship with God?
- At the present time, am I able to make the necessary time and commitment to meet regularly with a spiritual director to continue my spiritual journey?
We have a shortlist of Spiritual Directors that run retreats and offer spiritual direction at St Francis Retreat Centre.
If you would like to find out more or would like to be connected to a Spiritual Director, please contact us.