A Short History of St Francis Friary & Retreat Centre.
Saint Francis Friary and Retreat Centre began its ministry in December 1939 with the Mill Hill Missionaries being the first group to make a retreat.
The Land was gifted to the friars by Bishop Liston on behalf of the Catholic Church of Auckland. Retreats were offered to the men of the parishes of the Diocese and to the boys of Catholic Colleges.
Over the last twenty plus years the Centre has welcomed men and women from many different church traditions who are discovering the need for prayer and quiet. The Centre is also used by many non-profit organisations for seminars, conferences and workshops.
The grounds, chapel and the building give a great sense of peace. One visitor recently described the Centre as “a haven in a noisy world”.